Slow Cooked Brown Rice Risotto and Mushrooms
ONLINE EXCLUSIVE: Don’t have time stir that risotto? No problem with this recipe for Brown Rice Risotto and Mushrooms. Let the slow cooker do all the work.
Risotto is generally made with short grain or Arborio white rice. White rice is not allowable food in any Phase of the Lyme Inflammation Diet though. Rather than having to miss out on risotto indefinitely, my mom went to work in her test kitchen to develop a version made from a short grain brown rice. The best part is that this risotto is made in a slow cooker so there is no stirring necessary.
As you get into later Phases of the diet feel free to add in a protein of your choice. Grilled chicken, for instance, goes nicely with this brown rice risotto and mushrooms recipe.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 shallots, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- ¾ cup short grain brown rice
- 8 oz. baby bella or crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 2½ cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons each, freshly chopped parsley and basil
- ½ teaspoon each, freshly chopped thyme and mint
- 1 teaspoon, freshly chopped dill
- Heat the oil in a large fry page over medium-high heat for 1 minute or until hot.
- Add the shallots and saute for one minute. Stir in the garlic and cook 30 seconds.
- Add the remaining oil and uncooked rice and cook stirring for about 2 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and saute for 3 minute or until just limp. Stir in salt.
- Add the sauteed ingredients to the slow cooker. Add the vegetable broth and stir well.
- Cover and cook on low for 2 hours. Stir in the herbs in the last ½ hour.
- Serve immediately.
- Get Healthy and Lose Weight with the 60 Day Challenge
- Lyme Disease Cookbook Wins “Best of Show” in Annual Juried Exhibition
- Keeping Your Kids Safe from Ticks Without Taking away Their Fun
- Why Join Our 60 Day Challenge?
- Treat the Bite & Early Symptoms to Prevent Chronic Lyme Disease
- Food Stylist to Stars Uses Expertise to Bring Lyme Patients Relief
- 7 Tips for Stress-Free Holiday Eating on a Restricted Diet
- A Delicious Thanksgiving Meal on a Restricted Diet
- Lyme Camp Wrap Up
- Prevention is Our Best Defense Against Lyme Disease