Savory Vegetable and Herb Biscotti
ONLINE EXCLUSIVE: These savory biscuits are an excellent accompaniment to have with a soup or salad. Break one up into pieces and use them atop a salad like a crouton.
Phase 1 of the diet is rather limited because its the start of an elimination diet, which is going to help you to determine if you have hidden food sensitives. The only grains that is allowed is brown or wild rice, but not brown rice flour.
That posed a challenge for my mom when she decided to try the diet after our book was published, because she really missed having something crunchy with her soups and salads. Her solution was this recipe, which is a grain-free savory biscotti. It has a nice blend of nuts, seeds and vegetables making it a much healthier alternative to crackers or croutons.
- 1½ cups almond flour
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal
- ¼ cup fresh spinach, chopped
- 1 tablespoon onions, chopped
- ¼ cup carrots, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon celery salt
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon Herbes de Provence
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat the over to 375°F.
- Place all the ingredients in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse on and off about 10 times or until the mixture begins to form a bowl.
- Line a small baking sheet with parchment paper. Remove the mixture and place it on the parchment paper. Form the mixture into a 7 x 3½ x ¾-inch loaf.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes or until the edges start to brown.
- Cool on a rack for 30 minutes.
- Cut the cooled loaf into 10 half-inch diagonal slices on a cutting board with a serrated edge knife.
- Put the slices flat side down onto the parchment lined sheet. Place the sheet back in the oven and bake 12-15 minutes, turning mid-way, until the Biscotti is lightly browned. Do not over bake or else they will taste burned.
- Get Healthy and Lose Weight with the 60 Day Challenge
- Lyme Disease Cookbook Wins “Best of Show” in Annual Juried Exhibition
- Keeping Your Kids Safe from Ticks Without Taking away Their Fun
- Why Join Our 60 Day Challenge?
- Treat the Bite & Early Symptoms to Prevent Chronic Lyme Disease
- Food Stylist to Stars Uses Expertise to Bring Lyme Patients Relief
- 7 Tips for Stress-Free Holiday Eating on a Restricted Diet
- A Delicious Thanksgiving Meal on a Restricted Diet
- Lyme Camp Wrap Up
- Prevention is Our Best Defense Against Lyme Disease