7 Ways to Reduce Stress and Fight Against Lyme Disease
I have learned that medicine, supplements and herbs can only do so much in the fight against Lyme disease. Modifying my diet was my first challenge, but I’ve since learned that stress reduction also needs to be a high priority. Read on to learn 7 ways to reduce stress and fight against Lyme disease.
I have learned that what you choose to include in, or eliminate from, your daily routine can have a dramatic affect on healing. Stress, like a poor diet, can really impact your immune function. By following some of the suggestions below you can work to implement practices that reduce stress and have been shown to enhance your immune function.
7 Ways to Reduce Stress
- Meditation and yoga. Relaxing your body and mind can aid you in your healing process.
- Activities you love. Whether it’s reading (and not just about your illness!), cooking or something else, keep up with your hobbies. If you need to rest or take a break from more strenuous hobbies, that’s ok, but don’t forget to do the things that make you happy.
- Laughter. Listen to comedy shows, read the funnies or call a friend who always makes you laugh. Laughter is said to enhance immune function, so really is good medicine.
- Gratitude. As terrible as it is to have a chronic illness, reminding yourself of the good things you have in your life can make a big difference in how you feel.
- Faith. If you are religious, pray. The power of prayer can have a truly positive effect on one’s psyche.
- Companionship. Do what you can to avoid isolation. The companionship of a spouse, child, friend, coworker or pet can help take your mind off your illness.
- Exercise. Exercise can affect both your mood and improve immune function and is a great form of stress relief. Don’t push yourself too hard and if taking a short, slow walk is all you can handle, that’s ok. Being outside will also provide you with the added benefit of sunshine (Vitamin D) on your skin and breathing in the fresh air.
Having an illness can cause a lot of stress and it’s easy to overlook the things in life that bring you joy. Make a point to carve out time for yourself and do at least one of the above tips each and every day.
Copyright: manonringuette / 123RF Stock Photo
- Get Healthy and Lose Weight with the 60 Day Challenge
- Lyme Disease Cookbook Wins “Best of Show” in Annual Juried Exhibition
- Keeping Your Kids Safe from Ticks Without Taking away Their Fun
- Why Join Our 60 Day Challenge?
- Treat the Bite & Early Symptoms to Prevent Chronic Lyme Disease
- Food Stylist to Stars Uses Expertise to Bring Lyme Patients Relief
- 7 Tips for Stress-Free Holiday Eating on a Restricted Diet
- A Delicious Thanksgiving Meal on a Restricted Diet
- Lyme Camp Wrap Up
- Prevention is Our Best Defense Against Lyme Disease