Natural Food Coloring with Health Benefits
While it can be fun to dye food for the holidays, it certainly isn’t the best decision for our health. Food coloring not only has no nutritional value, but it is loaded with artificial man-made ingredients that can cause inflammation. There is a solution though!
With St. Patrick’s Day just around the corner I thought it would be fun to make some green cookies. I made the Chewy Coconut Almond Cookies as instructed with the addition of 1 teaspoon of spirulina. At this small amount there is no noticeable change to the flavor of the cookies.
Natural Food Coloring Using Spirulina
Spirulina is blue-green microalgae that packs in an incredible amount of nutrients, including Magnesium, Calcium, Potassium, Iron, Zinc, Phosphorous, the B vitamins and is also a tremendous source of protein. Not only that, it also has anti-inflammatory properties. Compare this to the below screenshot that shows the ingredients in a green food coloring on the market.
Other natural food coloring options for upcoming holidays or birthdays include:
- Red/pink: Beet juice or powder or pomegranate juice
- Yellow: Ground turmeric
- Orange: Pure carrot juice or powder
- Blue: Blueberry juice or powder
- Green: Spirulina, chlorella, spinach powder, etc.
As you can see it’s just as easy to find natural coloring agents. The bonus is that the natural alternatives will provide you with nutrients.
Have fun this St. Patrick’s Day by adding a little burst of color to a tasty treat!
- Lyme Disease Cookbook Wins “Best of Show” in Annual Juried Exhibition
- Keeping Your Kids Safe from Ticks Without Taking away Their Fun
- Why Join Our 60 Day Challenge?
- Treat the Bite & Early Symptoms to Prevent Chronic Lyme Disease
- Food Stylist to Stars Uses Expertise to Bring Lyme Patients Relief
- 7 Tips for Stress-Free Holiday Eating on a Restricted Diet
- A Delicious Thanksgiving Meal on a Restricted Diet
- Lyme Camp Wrap Up
- Prevention is Our Best Defense Against Lyme Disease
- 8 Ways to Save Money on Groceries for the Lyme Inflammation Diet®