Make Ahead Brown Rice Porridge with Mixed Berry Compote
My mom told me that this recipe was trickier than most to develop. She tested and retested but kept finding that the rice was more like rice than porridge.
Soak the Cooked Rice Overnight
The key to this recipe, she discovered, was to soak the cooked rice over night as instructed. This softens up the rice to the point where it becomes the consistency of traditional porridge.
You can either make the compote the night before and reheat it while the porridge is cooking in the morning or make at the same time as the porridge. We suggest that you make extra of the compote because it makes a nice dessert that you can enjoy later in the week.
- 1½ cups cooked short grain brown rice
- 3 cups coconut or almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 4-8 drops liquid stevia
- Mixed Berry Compote
- ½ cup each raspberries, blackberries and blueberries
- 2 tablespoons water
- ¼ cup pomegranate juice
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 drops liquid stevia
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- a pinch of sea salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- Place all the ingredients for the porridge into a 2-quart sauce pot, stir well and cover.
- Place the covered pot into the refrigerator overnight for use in the morning.
- Remove the pot from the refrigerator and bring the mixture to a boil over medium high heat. Lower the heat to medium, cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender.
- While the porridge is cooking combine all the compote ingredients except for the walnuts in a small sauce pot and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Serve the porridge topped with berries and chopped walnuts.
- Get Healthy and Lose Weight with the 60 Day Challenge
- Lyme Disease Cookbook Wins “Best of Show” in Annual Juried Exhibition
- Keeping Your Kids Safe from Ticks Without Taking away Their Fun
- Treat the Bite & Early Symptoms to Prevent Chronic Lyme Disease
- Food Stylist to Stars Uses Expertise to Bring Lyme Patients Relief
- 7 Tips for Stress-Free Holiday Eating on a Restricted Diet
- A Delicious Thanksgiving Meal on a Restricted Diet
- Lyme Camp Wrap Up
- Prevention is Our Best Defense Against Lyme Disease
- 8 Ways to Save Money on Groceries for the Lyme Inflammation Diet®