Homemade Brown Rice Milk
Store bought dairy-free milks (rice milk, coconut milk, almond milk, etc.) generally have guar gum which helps thicken it and keep it from separating. This ingredient is not allowed until Phase 3 of the diet making store-bought milks unacceptable in Phases 1 and Phase 2 of the diet.Others have cane sugar and other unsavory additives that are never allowed back in the diet. We have recipes for almond milk (page 237) and nut milks (page 237) so you can make your own that comply with Phases 1.
We have heard from readers who can’t tolerate coconut or nuts looking for an alternative homemade milk. This new recipe is a Phase 1 Pantry recipe and can be used as a substitute in recipes that call for the other homemade milks.
Because it is homemade and has no preservatives it lasts only a couple of days. If you want to make it in bulk you can use what you need and freeze the rest.
- ½ cup brown rice
- 4 cups filtered water, divided
- Soak the brown rice overnight in two cups of water.
- Drain the rice and place in a blender container and add 2 cups of new water.
- Blend for about 2 minutes. The rice will be pulverized and settle at the bottom of the blender container.
- Line a colander or a sieve with cheesecloth. Pour the liquid into the cheesecloth to strain out the milk. Squeeze out all the of the liquid from the mixture into the bowl.
- Disregard the rice pulp.
- Store the rice milk in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to two days or freeze the excess.
- Get Healthy and Lose Weight with the 60 Day Challenge
- Lyme Disease Cookbook Wins “Best of Show” in Annual Juried Exhibition
- Keeping Your Kids Safe from Ticks Without Taking away Their Fun
- Why Join Our 60 Day Challenge?
- Treat the Bite & Early Symptoms to Prevent Chronic Lyme Disease
- Food Stylist to Stars Uses Expertise to Bring Lyme Patients Relief
- 7 Tips for Stress-Free Holiday Eating on a Restricted Diet
- A Delicious Thanksgiving Meal on a Restricted Diet
- Lyme Camp Wrap Up
- Prevention is Our Best Defense Against Lyme Disease